1. Take Your Shoes Off – Let your shoes at the door so outside chemicals do not come in.
2. Cleaning Supplies – By choosing either natural remedies or toxic free cleaning supplies you can eliminate nasty chemicals in your home and leave your family breathing & living healthier!
3. Laundry – Avoid detergents that contain phthalates, dyes, perfumes and chlorine bleach. These dangerous chemicals in your laundry can be absorbed into your family’s skin and lungs and should be avoided.
4. Test for Radon – Radon may be a natural occurring gas, but it is dangerous when found in homes. The 2nd leading cause of lung cancer this odorless gas can go undetected unless tested for. New and older homes should test yearly to protect your family.
5. Know Your Plastic – By learning what plastics are safe for eating and drinking and how to care for them you can reduce your family’s exposure to leeched chemicals and dangerous toxins.
6. Test Your Water – Many families unknowingly have dangerous chemicals in their water. Both public and private systems have potentially toxic possibilities and should be tested yearly.
7. Know Your Foods – Milk and other dairy products can contain dangerous hormones so understand how to read your labels to purchase healthier products. Also learn what produce contains more pesticides that would warrant purchasing only organic.
8. Lawn – Avoid using dangerous pesticides and insecticides on your lawn, both are cancer causing chemicals that children can easily be exposed to from both their dangerous vapors and residue in lawns that remain for weeks.
9. Attached Garages – Three ways to reduce exposure to dangerous toxins in attached garages: park outside when possible, leave garage doors open to air out fumes for at least 10 minutes or more, install a garage ventilation system.
10. Remoldeling and Building Do’s & Do Not’s! – Be aware of toxic materials when building and remodeling. By choosing toxic free paints and flooring are just an example of how you can help limit the amount of toxic chemicals that can linger in your home for months!
Interested and want to learn more about why these Ten Things can make a real difference for your family’s health? Than visit us weekly at ToxicFreeKidsBlog.org for more on these blogs and other new posts and learn how to eliminate environmental toxins from your lifestyle. We are here to make a difference and to teach the world how to live a healthier toxic free lifestyle.